Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Life without College Basketball

"If only I was back in the States."

I have only uttered those words a couple times over these last 2 months, but they came when I desperately searched for the Michigan @ Northwestern game.  Forty-five minutes into the fruitless search, I screamed the words over the radio broadcast at 2 AM. 

As I desperately tried to watch the Missouri/Kansas game, I finally gave up on having college basketball this season.  The excitement of seeing the game on firstrowsports.com quickly died when the stream wouldn't stop buffering.  Even when working, the quality looked like it was composed of a single pixel.  So, I went to bed, disappointed yet content with what I thought was a game firmly in Missouri's control. The next morning, upon finding out the result of the Mizzou/Kansas game, a 17-point Kansas comeback for the ages, I said a version of that fateful line one last time: "I wish I could have watched that game at Buff Joes (wings place in Evanston, IL).  The minute I said it though, I knew it wasn't completely true.

La falta de baloncesto has been rough. Despite going to a Real Madrid game with my friends Matt and Mitchell (and having Kyle Singler respond to my tweet after the game), college basketball is officially vacant in my life. I live it vicariously through others who watch the games both on TV and in person.  I live it vicariously through the box scores, the ESPN chats, and the bubble watch articles. I live it through writers like Jay Bilas, Jeff Goodman, Dana O'Neil, Eamonn Brennan, Myron Medcalf, and Andy Katz and through the profile pictures of my friends in the Northwestern crowds. I live it through checking Bracketology every week, and through browsing the message boards. I live it through comparing Ken Pomeroy and the Top 25 rankings.

These are all great and normal parts of my days during every college basketball season.  However, reading other's insight is not grounds for creating your own. It is for this reason that my blog has been empty these past couple months. I thought due to my increased free time, I would be able to watch more games, but due to both the time difference and internet capabilities, that has proved untrue.

So, instead of regurgitating someone else's information, I will be honest and say I have practically none of my own opinions about all the 360+ D1 teams. My statistical knowledge of Matthew Delladova, Drew Gordon, or Isaiah Canaan doesn't translate to blog posts.  However, I will do my best to continue this blog in other capacities (interviews/player profile may be in the works). 

All this being said, I only have to live one year of my life without college basketball.  In return, I am getting to travel around Spain, have the time of my life, and meet new and amazing people every day.  So do I miss college basketball? Hell yes.  Do I think my blog has suffered? Also, yes.  However, one thing is for sure: I don't wish I was back in the states, no matter how good the wings or the basketball is.

Stay tuned.

P.S. The less one knows about basketball, the better he/she seems to do with my bracket. Stay tuned. I  am about to have my best bracket of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment